Recover deleted emails in Outlook 2007

Have you ever accidentally deleted an email that you needed and you didn’t know how to get it back? If you are using Microsoft Outlook 2007, there is a possibility that you can get that email back. Microsoft has a very easy way to see the emails that it can recover from the depths of your email.

Make sure you have Outlook 2007 open. On the main menu click “Tools” and click the “Recover Deleted Items” option.

Tools

The Recovery window will open and display all emails that can be recovered. Click on the email(s) that you want to recover and click the “Recover Selected Items” button (it’s the second button in the top menu).

Recover Window

All emails that you have selected will be put back in the original folder that you deleted them from. So if you deleted the item straight from your Inbox, the email will be put back in your Inbox.

This entry was posted in Microsoft Office and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Recover deleted emails in Outlook 2007

1. meg says:

thanks! i found my much needed deleted file.

2. The Pro says:

Meg, I’m glad you found that file.

3. misty says:

what if the Recover Deleted Items is grayed out?

4. The Pro says:

@ misty – That usually means that Outlook doesn’t have any emails that it can recover. Typically this only happens when temporary files are deleted from your computer.

5. julie says:

this option is not listed under my tools menu. could this be because I am not on a Microsoft Exchange server?

6. The Pro says:

@julie – You are exactly right. (I forgot to mention this in the article). You must either be on a Microsoft Exchange 2000, 2003, or 2007 server to see this option under Outlook 2007.

Here is what Microsoft has to say about “Recover deleted items” –

7. arun says:

Wow! It was of gr8 F1 :) .. cool info .. many thanks

8. rajesh says:

Thanks, it was helpful

9. Tom Davis says:

There is no such option like Recover deleted mails.

10. The Pro says:

@Tom Davis – Please see my comment above where I replied to Julie

11. Henri says:

hi there, is there a way to recover deleted emails when not running the server version but just the single user one?

would be jolly helpful :) to me, thanks Henri

12. Paul says:

My Outlook 2007 doesn’t have this option “Recover Deleted Items” under Tools.
    What else can I do?
    (I deleted an email folder I had created. And then I emptied the Deleted Items Folder. It was too late when I realised…)

13. Jan says:

Thanks a lot! This hint saved me!

14. Setopa says:

what do i do if the “Recover deleted items” option does not appear on the drop down list

15. SAIKRISHNA says:

Is there a way to enable the option “Recover deleted items”, in my outlook it was disabled and i need to recover some of my mails which i have deleted accidentally.

16. MIAN IMRAN says:

hi dear ,
    today a big misshape on my side .i work on my computer accidently i delete my mail in outlook 2007 with ctrl+shift+del plz help me

BEST REGARDS
    MIAN IMRAN

17. Ram says:

Thank you Very Much! it worked like a magic!!!

18. Bill McCall says:

The recover deleted message option is not always there by default. There is a registry setting to enable/disable I just need to find it again.

19. Usha s konat says:

Thank you very much! It worked..

20. Aisha says:

Thank you for the article. It was quite helpful!

21. kelin says:

can deleted folders be retrieve in this manner too?
    i had accidentally deleted an impt folder and was unable to retrieve it back.. :( please advice if anyone has any solutions… thanks.

22. Vasudev Bhat says:

Hi,
    the recover deleted items in tools menu is not visible in my outlook 2007..!!:(
    Please help…

23. Jawplw says:

when i deleted an email out of my inbox it does not go into my deleted file on outlook 2007 how change it? if it has not been open and I deleted it will go into the deleted file.

24. Janelle says:

I’m not on an exchange server, how can I recover deleted items?

25. Json says:

Hi!

I was using microsoft outlook 2007 for my gmail account before my pc crashed and was reformatted. When i reinstalled Microsoft outlook 2007 and reconfigured my gmail account on it, all my previously downloaded emails where gone. Only the new emails are coming in. I tried to open my gmail directly on my browser and was relieve seeing all my email is still there.

Please help me on how I can re-download all my emails back to microsoft outlook?? Your reply is highly appreciated!!

Thanks a lot!!

26. Abhijit says:

To Enable Recover Deleted Items menu in outlook 2007.
    Start Regedit.
    go to ->
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Client\Options
    On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value
    Type DumpsterControl, and then press ENTER
    Right-click DumpsterControl, and then click Modify
    In the Value data box, type “1″ without Quotes.

How tough is that ? Its available every where on internet, but on this website no one seems to find it.

27. Shanmuganathan says:

Another Easy way to recover the Deleted Mails is to use the Organise options in the Outlook Express 2007

open–>outlookexpress2007–>Tools–>Organize–>Press Enter or click it using mouse

then there will be small window in the top which contains the a drop down list with the items.then follow the below method

go to Deleted Items–>Select the mail which you want it to restore–>go to Dropdown list–> Select the place where you want to restore it(like Inbox,sentitems,your personal Folder)–>click Go

Now the selected mail will be restored in the specified place

cheers :)

28. Sampath says:

Hi,

Am using Microsoft Outlook 2007. but there is no such option names “Recover Deleted Items” under Tools.

Please suggest/advice.

Best regards,
    Sampath

29. Saif says:

Hi Friends,
    Accidentally i shift+deleted few mails in the month of November 10. But now i desperately need those mails.
    I can see, in the above solution, whatever is available in the Recover Deleted Items box we can retrieve those but i am not able to see my mails in that. Any way to retrieve my deleted mails!!! Please help.

Thanks & Regards,
    Saif

30. Sun10 says:

Thanks a lot.. it was very helpful

31. Padmapriya Devaraj says:

check this link – it installs the Fix it for the Recover Deleted items to be enabled. Then you can follow the instructions given in this page. Even if you have MS Exchange unless the add-in is enabled, it will remain grayed out.

32. Padmapriya Devaraj says:

Sorry I forgot the link n my last comment. Here it is.